Columbia River Gorge
The Dalles, Oregon is located in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, 84 miles east of Portland, Oregon on Interstate 84 (I-84) and the Historic Columbia River Highway (Oregon Highway 30).
The Dalles is only 82 miles east of Portland, Oregon and the Portland International Airport. Take the drive through the scenic Columbia River Gorge on I-84, through the Cascade Mountains. To our north is the majestic Columbia River, with our neighbors in Dallesport, Washington on the other side of the Columbia River, on Hwy. 197. Just visible to the northwest are the snow-covered slopes of Mt. Adams. To the southwest is the towering figure of one of the other sentinels of the Cascades, Mt. Hood. The area is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts, with hiking trails along spectacular waterfalls, and your choice of white-water rafting, fishing, camping, cycling, and year-round skiing at Timberline Lodge within an hour’s drive. supplies the area with hydro-electric power.
- White-water rafting on the Deschutes, Klickitat, and White Salmon Rivers
- Year-round snow skiing at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood
- Maryhill Museum and the full-scale Stonehenge Replica War Memorial
- Shaniko Ghost Town
- Tom McCall Wildflower Preserve on the Rowena Loops
- World-class windsurfing and kiteboarding on the Columbia River
- Columbia Gorge Waterfalls along the Historic Columbia Gorge Highway 30
- Bonneville Dam and The Dalles Dam Visitor Centers
- 55 area local Columbia Gorge wineries & vineyards, classified with their own appelation.
- Fishing, hiking, camping, hunting – too many places to list
The Columbia River Gorge area encompasses an 80+ mile stretch that borders one river and includes two states, two Cascade mountains (Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams), six counties and several communities.
Wasco County: The Dalles, Mosier, Dufur, Tygh Valley, Wamic, Maupin
Hood River County: Hood River, Cascade Locks, Odell, Parkdale, Mount Hood
Multnomah County: Corbett, Troutdale, Portland
Klickitat County: Goldendale, Dallesport, Lyle, Bingen, White Salmon
Skamania County: Stevenson, Carson, Underwood
Clark County: Camas, Washougal, Vancouver